There are between 60 to 70 million people who have issues with digestion. If you’re one of them, then you know how difficult it can be to live with. You most likely have many questions. How long does it take to digest food? How long does food stay in your stomach? Are there any products out there that can help me? The following is intended to help you get the answers you’re looking for.
How Long Does It Take for Food to Digest?
If you’re wondering, ‘How long does food take to digest?’, there are many factors to consider. First of all, it depends on the type of food you’re talking about. The following is a breakdown of how long it takes for food to digest.
- Liquid - If you have an empty stomach, then water digests immediately. Juice takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Vegetables and Fruits - These take about 20-60 minutes.
- Beans and Grains - Depending on how substantial it is, it can take between 1.5-3 hours.
- Dairy - As little as 1.5 hours and as many as 5 hours
- Animal Proteins - These vary the most by far. An egg yolk can be digested as quickly as 30 minutes, while pork can take up to 5 hours.
How Long Does Food Stay in The Stomach?
This depends on digestion. If you would like to digest food faster, then you can eat light foods, like melons and salads. They will move out of your stomach in as little as 15 minutes. If you eat heavy foods, like bacon and whole milk, hard cheese, you can expect it to stay in your stomach for about 5 hours.
So, how long does it take for food to leave the stomach? It varies depending on your diet. You can be sure to hold onto a fast food meal for far longer than you’re going to hold onto some steamed vegetables. Often, when people are having digestive issues, their doctor will have them eliminate things like dairy, which can stay in the stomach much longer.
What Factors Affect Digestion?
Just as it’s important to know how long it takes food to digest, it’s also important to know what factors affect digestion. After all, if you don’t know, then you can’t work on improving digestion. There are several factors at play. They include the following:
- The amount of food you’ve consumed.
- What type of food you’ve consumed.
- What age you are.
- Whether or not you have conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and diverticulitis.
Another factor is whether or not you take supplements, like REVIVE MD's Digest Aid. The ingredients in this supplement were formulated to help support the digestion of fat, carbohydrates, protein, and fiber. This makes it possible for the body to produce more enzymes, which are responsible for the majority of our digestion and nutrient intake. Trying a supplement like the Digest Aid may also do wonders for your system. You won’t know until you try.
What is Considered "Normal" Digestion?
Normal digestion can take about 6-8 hours to move from your stomach to your small intestine. The entire digestive process from beginning to end takes around 24-72 hours. If you’re digesting around that timeline, then you can consider yourself in the normal category.
What Contributes to "Bad" Digestion?
There are many factors that contribute to “bad” digestion. They include the following:
Many people have heard of Crohn’s disease but don’t understand precisely what it is. Crohn's disease impacts the lining of the digestive tract as an inflammatory bowel disease. Some of the symptoms of Crohn’s disease include the following:
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic condition that affects the large intestine. Around 25 to 45 million people suffer from it. You might be suffering from it too if you’re experiencing the following symptoms:
- Abdominal Pain
This condition occurs when small bulging pouches become inflamed along the digestive tract. There are many different signs of it. They include:
- Abdominal Pain
- Unusual Bowel Habits
What Are Some Natural Ways to Promote Healthy Digestion?
Finding out the answer to the question, ‘How long to digest food?’ wouldn’t be complete without finding out some natural ways to promote healthy digestion. There are many ways, including the following:
- Change your diet. If you’re a meat-eater, then just eliminating pork might do wonders for your digestive system. It takes longer to digest pork than it does any other meat.
- Drink lots of water. This is because water goes through our body quite quickly. It can also help move along the food we’ve consumed that’s just sitting there. Think of it like a waterfall emptying into a lake.
- REVIVE MD's Digest Aid is made with the highest-quality ingredients you could hope for. Health supplements often do nothing more than simply provide your body with what it should already have. This is why this is an excellent addition to your wellness routine.
What Foods Are Easy to Digest?
Now that we’ve addressed how long digestion takes, let’s take a look at the foods you should try to eat if you’re looking for more effortless digestion.
- Soup Broth
- Vegetables (either raw or steamed)
- Melons (watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, etc.)
- Brown Rice